Maharishi School students Narayani Thijm and Melat Gebremariam received several awards for their research entitled, “What is the Greenhouse Effect and How Does It Work?”
by Maharishi School of the Age of Enlightenment website
Four Maharishi School students won awards at the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair (EISEF) in Cedar Rapids last week. Recipients were middle schoolers, Narayani Thijm and Melat Gebremariam, and 10th grade students Alex Hoffman and Bimba Shrestha.
“What is the Greenhouse Effect and How Does It Work?” is the title of the research entered by Narayani and Melat. The students explain, “Our experiment tests different gases, carbon dioxide, water vapor, and room air to see which heats up the most in a jar.
They completed their research for honors credit for this semester. Middle school honors requires the students to work entirely on their own time. Barbara Hays sponsored the team.
Melat and Narayani received the following awards:
- Junior Teams Class I
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin 2013 Taking the Pulse of the Planet Award, for research demonstrating the principles and technical innovations that offer the greatest potential for an improved understanding of Earth's dynamic processes.
- American Meteorological Society: Outstanding Achievement
- A nomination to compete in the Broadcom MASTERS for outstanding performance at an SSP - Affiliated Fair. Broadcom MASTERS is the nation's premier science, technology, engineering and math competition for middle school students.
Bimba 's project focused on engineering glasses for the visually impaired. His presentation is entitled “Glasses That Can See For Themselves.” Bimba received the following awards:
- Senior Level Class II
- Cedar Valley Amateur Radio Club / Collins Amateur Radio Club: Outstanding Achievement
- National Society of Professional Engineers: Innovative Engineering
- US Air Force: Outstanding Achievement
Both Bimba and Alex were sponsored by Girma Tessema.
Alex's Project entitled “Efficacy of Mouthwashes in Reducing Oral Bacteria” also received a Class II award, Senior division.
The mission of the EISEF is stated on the website, “To inspire eastern Iowa’s students to pursue careers in science, engineering, and math.”
© Copyright 2013 Maharishi School of the Age of Enlightenment